This week: Site Profiler Guide, extra Pingdom testing locations, and more.
A free newsletter from the desk of Steve Williams
Disclosure: Some of the links in this letter are ‘affiliate links.’ This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission.
September 21, 2018
Here are 10 tips I think are worth sharing this week:
- Mangools just released their SiteProfiler Guide. SiteProfiler is a website analysis tool bringing all important SEO metrics and website insights on one screen.
- The pingdom.com website speedtest has added extra testing locations. They now have Tokyo (Japan), Frankfurt (Germany), London (UK), Washington DC (USA), San Francisco (USA), Sydney (Australia), Sao Paulo (Brazil). For best results, use the testing site the closest to your website physical location.
- How to determine your website physical location? That’s easy with KeyCDN’s IP Location Finder tool. For instance, my hosting provider (WPX Hosting) is located in Chicago. There is one exception: your geolocation will be hidden if you use CloudFlare services. In that case, please ask your web hosting provider.
- Dashlane Integrates With New Apple Security API — iPhone Users, You’ll Want to Read This. It’s now much easier to auto-fill credentials in your iOS 12 apps. Are you new to Dashlane? Please read my full review here.
- To strengthen your online privacy, you may want to follow the advice from this cool infographic: How to Be Invisible Online.
- You may have noticed it takes too long (4-10 seconds) to display your WordPress plugins. That might be caused by plugins that call home too often (to detect plugin updates). I documented how to pinpoint slow plugins here. If you don’t find any slow plugin, it may be due to a slow back-end. In that case, you will have to migrate to a faster host.
- You can add posts to Buffer via email. I’ve been using this technique for a while and, it saves lots of time. In one email, you can post to all your profiles: Twitter, Facebook Page, Google Plus, LinkedIn, etc.
- You will like Vimium, a Chrome extension & Firefox add-on that provides keyboard shortcuts for browser navigation and control in the spirit of Vim (a Linux text editor).
- Here are 19 Things You Can Do in iOS 12 That You Couldn’t Do Before.
- Make your computer run smoothly by suspending the tabs you aren’t using. The Great Suspender is a lightweight Chrome extension to reduce Chrome’s memory footprint. Perfect if you have a lot of tabs open at the same time.
Thanks for reading. If you like this newsletter and want to support it, forward it to a friend.
If you’re seeing this newsletter for the first time, you can subscribe here.