This week: Page load time, text expansion, new Google shortcuts, and more.
A free newsletter from the desk of Steve Williams
Disclosure: Some of the links in this letter are ‘affiliate links.’ This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission.
November 02, 2018
Here are 10 tips I think are worth sharing this week:
- Page load time counts as a Google ranking factor. WPX Hosting now offers WPX Cloud, their own superfast, hand-built Content Delivery Network (CDN) with 20+ ‘end points’ (and growing!) around the world. WPX Cloud is free for WPX customers. I renewed with WPX hosting for a 3rd year as I’m very satisfied with their service.
- Here is the fastest way to start a new Google doc, sheet, or presentation. Assuming you are already logged in your Google account, type the following from your URL bar: doc.new for a document, sheet.new for a spreadsheet, deck.new for a new for a presentation, form.new for a form and, site.new for a new site. OMG, they forgot Google drawings, which I use a lot … Don’t worry, I have an alternative for you: Drawings.google.com/create.
- Everyone likes using shortcuts. Text expansion provides a way to increase productivity. On MacOS, I’ve been using Typinator for years. For instance, whenever you wish to create a new Google drawing, just type: ,dn and it will expand to drawings.google.com/create. I’ve got lots of these handy and ready to use. For Windows users, I suggest Breevy.
- Your website should have a disclaimer page. Look at mine here. This article goes through 30 blog disclaimer examples.
- Looking for free online training? 190 universities just launched 600 free online courses. Here’s the full list.
- The Portent website has a cool title generator. Insert one word and it will craft headlines for your blog or social media posts. Free to use.
- When looking for similar words, I use OneLook Thesaurus. It will show you words related to your keyword, ranked by relevance.
- You wish you could save a web page as a PDF file? You can do it with the printfriendly website. You can also install their browser extension if you prefer.
- Interested in learning how to craft infographics? Then, visit Venngage for a free online course.
- To create beautiful GIFs from images, videos, webcam, Facebook, etc. you can use the free Makeagif service.
Thanks for reading. If you like this newsletter and want to support it, forward it to a friend.
If you’re seeing this newsletter for the first time, you can subscribe here.