- Editor Rating
- Rated 4 stars
- Grammarly, The Online Grammar Checker
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
This review is based on my experience with Grammarly. This product will become your best companion during your online writing. Whenever you compose a new, tweet, Facebook status, email, blog post, or anything else online, Grammarly will check your text for spelling and grammatical errors.
What is Grammarly?
Grammarly is an online grammar checker that finds and corrects hundreds of complex writing errors — so you don’t have to. It ensures everything you type is easy to read, efficient, and mistake-free.
As you type, Grammarly checks your text against more than 250 advanced grammar rules. The checks include common grammatical errors, such as subject-verb agreement, article use, and modifier placement, in addition to contextual spelling mistakes, phonetic spelling mistakes, and irregular verb conjugations. Plus, Grammarly’s spell check takes the context of your sentence into account. It also provides synonym suggestions to make your writing more readable and precise.
What Makes Grammarly Different?
With Grammarly, you can write online with confidence. Millions of users worldwide trust Grammarly’s free and premium products, which are also licensed by more than 600 leading universities and corporations. Grammarly is an Inc. 500 company with offices in San Francisco, Kyiv, and Vancouver.
Grammarly Editor is an online application, and there is no need to download any software. All you need is Internet access and a Grammarly account. From your web browser, you access your account and start writing. At the time of writing this review, Grammarly is not yet mobile friendly.
However, you can download the following tools to bring Grammarly to you wherever you write:
- The Grammarly browser extension for Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.
- Grammarly’s desktop app for your Mac or PC.
- Grammarly add-on for Microsoft Office. Please note – the following system requirements must be met to operate the add-in on your computer:
- Compatible operating systems: Windows 7, Windows 8 and 8.1, Windows 10, Parallels (Windows OS on a Mac computer)
- Microsoft® Office: 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016
Grammarly comes in two versions: free and premium
The free account offers 150 critical grammar and spelling checks. You can consider this as a Grammarly free trial, but the trial never expires.
With a Premium account, you get all the features of Grammarly Free plus:
- 100+ additional advanced grammar and spelling checks
- Vocabulary enhancement suggestions
- Genre-specific writing style checks (academic, technical, creative, and other styles of writing)
- Plagiarism detector that checks more than 8 billion web pages
Grammarly and Social Media
Let’s see how it works from Social Media accounts:
In the above example, Grammarly provides suggestions for the typo (in green color). All you have to do is to click the correct choice (Extensions).
Grammarly and WordPress
This time, from a WordPress blog post, Grammarly will catch mistakes:
In the above example, the first mistake is ‘lookd’. The second one is ‘best selling’ with a suggestion of ‘best-selling’. As you noticed, some words like acronyms can be saved to a personal dictionary.
The Premium plan will perform advanced checks as follows:
Create an account and start using Grammarly immediately at no charge.
You can upgrade to a Premium account at anytime when you need the advanced features described above.
Three payment plans are available (US$)
- Monthly: $29.95 / month
- Quarterly: $19.98 / month (one payment of $59.95)
- Annual: $11.66 / month (one payment of $139.95)
Grammarly uses a ticketing system. After you open a support ticket, you should get a response in 12-24 hours. Although I had a Premium subscription, they never solved my iframe issue … still unsolved after a year! (see above editor’s note). Other than that, they always answered my questions.
Grammarly is free to use, and I consider it as the best online grammar checker. You can start using it right away after you create an account. It will save you time during your writing process. If you decide to go to the next level, you can subscribe to the Premium plan and get the advanced spelling/checking.
Please note that Grammarly is not mobile friendly. That’s not an issue for me since I compose most of my stuff from a laptop. However, if you write mainly from a tablet or smartphone, you can use your laptop at the very end to spell check your text with the Chrome extension or the desktop app.
Grammarly cannot spell check your Google Drive documents (Google Docs, etc.). You will need to copy your Google Docs text into the Grammarly desktop application, spell check your copy and then, move it back to your Google Doc.
Verdict: I recommend this product.
- ThirstyAffiliates Pro Review: Improve Your Affiliate Results
- Interact Quiz Builder: How to Craft Awesome Quizzes
- Free to use
- Corrects spelling as you type
- Web based, no need to install anything
- Enhanced checking with premium subscription
- No Google docs support and G+
- Not mobile friendly
- No support for HTML iframe directive
Grammarly, The Online Grammar Checker
Summary: With Grammarly, you can write online with confidence.